Includes account books, accounts, address books, correspondence, departure books, guest registers, inventory books, package book, railroad schedules, room books, visiting cards, and wine list for the Exchange Hotel and Ballard House.
The Exchange Hotel was built in 1841 by John P. Ballard (1816?-1878). The architect was Isaiah Rogers of Boston and New York City, who designed the building in the Classic style. Ballard built the more modern four-story Ballard House in 1855-1856, connecting the two structures first with a steel bridge and then with a brick bridge that crossed Franklin Street at the second floor level. The first floor of the older building was rented out as store fronts and the cellars as storage; many commercial agencies and businessmen kept offices in the building. The structures survived the Evacuation Fire of April 1865 and were refitted shortly thereafter, and again in 1891. However, by 1896 both hotels closed. The Exchange was demolished in 1900; the Ballard in 1920.