"In the Beginning, all America was Virginia."
William Byrd II
Next event
Featured Promotion

Learn more about items related to commencement exercises in the VHS collections.

Van de Vyver Institute Diploma
Stories at the Museum - this Saturday 11/1/14 at 11am - Virginia Historical Society #rvakids #vahistory #rva t.co/Fs5gXN3ILS

Upper Brandon

An Inventory to the Upper Brandon (Va.) Records, 1984-98
Call Number:  Mss3Up67a


Abstract

Main Entry: Upper Brandon (Va.)
Title: Records, 1984-98
Size: ca. 10, 500 items
Historical Note: In 1984, the James River Corporation purchased the historic Upper Brandon estate in Prince George County, Va. Although a proposed conference center was not built, the plantation was revitalized through the renovation of the existing manor house, the construction of a lodge and lodge annex, the implementation of a farming and wildlife program and the planting of a garden. Archaeological digs were also conducted on the site. Upper Brandon was used for corporate events and other public functions and the farm was actively pursued as a viable business.
Summary: Correspondence, memoranda, receipts, brochures, product information, blueprints, color photographs, negatives, slides, 16mm film, videocassettes, purchase and lease agreements, loan information, tax notices, insurance policy information, spread sheets, small maps, specifications, drawings, reports, research notes, newspaper articles, magazine articles, and company publicity.
Provenance: Gift of the James River Corporation of Richmond, Va., through the courtesy of Linda McAllister, in 1998.
Restrictions: None.
Arrangement:
Introduction
Section Descriptions
   Section One: Acquisition, Financing and Land Agreements of Upper Brandon, 1984-1995
   Section Two: James River Corporation’s Upper Brandon Restoration Task Group and Upper Brandon Manor House Restoration 1984-1995
   Section Three: Proposed Conference Center, 1985-1987
   Section Four: Lodge and Lodge Annex, 1985-1990
   Section Five: Garden Design and Site Archaeology 1985 -1994
   Section Six: Farming, Hunting, Water and Wildlife, 1984-1995
   Section Seven: Functions, Events and Usage 1986-1996
   Section Eight: History Research
   Section Nine: Publicity
   Section Ten: Miscellaneous Correspondence 1990-1998
   Section Eleven: James River Corporate Information and Publicity
   Oversized Items  
Index to Sections
Container List

Collection Description

Introduction

In 1984, the James River Corporation purchased the historic Upper Brandon estate on the James River in Spring Grove, Virginia, with the intention of developing a corporate conference center on the site. The James River Corporation was founded on April 25, 1969, by two executives of Richmond, Virginia’s Ethyl Corporation, Brenton S. Halsey and Robert C. Williams, who purchased Ethyl’s original papermaking operations. Although based in Richmond, the James River Corporation was an international Fortune 200 consumer products company, with business divisions in consumer products, food and consumer packaging, communications papers, European hygienics, and fiber. By 1993, the company employed more than 35,000 people in 123 manufacturing facilities in the United States, Canada and 11 European countries. The company had sales of approximately $4.7 billion and was listed on the New York Stock Exchange. In August 1997 the James River Corporation merged with the Fort Howard Corporation to form the consumer products company Fort James Corporation, becoming the largest tissue manufacturer in North America and the second largest in the world. Executive headquarters were moved to suburban Chicago, Illinois, in 1998 and the company has approximately 30, 000 employees and more than 65 manufacturing facilities in the United States, Canada and Europe.

The James River Corporation’s acquisition of Upper Brandon ushered in a new era for the plantation. Although the proposed conference center was not constructed, the James River Corporation focused its attention on the early nineteenth-century manor house and its surrounding farm land. Shortly after the purchase, the James River Corporation renovated the manor house and restored the farm land and marsh areas, effectively revitalizing this long-neglected historic Virginia site. Near the original manor house on the James River, the Corporation erected a new lodge facility to house guests and to hold meetings.

This collection of documents, photographs, slides, and videotapes dating from 1984 to 1998 includes information relating to the acquisition, restoration and operation of Upper Brandon’s original house, along with documents about work carried out on the surrounding gardens, farm, marsh lands and the construction of the new lodge and other supporting structures. Upper Brandon is a significant part of the early history of Virginia; John Martin (ca.1562-ca.1632), one of the founders of Jamestown, held the patent of 5, 000 acres for the lands of Brandon in 1616. Benjamin Harrison II (1645-1712) purchased the land in 1712 and on his death, the land passed to his son Nathaniel I (1677-1727) of “Wakefield.” His son, Colonel Nathaniel Harrison II (1703-1791), built a house called “Brandon” in 1765. The house and property passed to his son Benjamin Harrison III (1743-1807). Upon his death, he left his inheritance to his two sons, George Evelyn Harrison (1797-1839) and William Byrd Harrison (1800-1870), who were to receive their property when they reached the age of twenty-one. When he came of age, George Evelyn Harrison took over the original Brandon house and divided the land with his brother. William Byrd Harrison received the land known as Upper Brandon and finished construction of his plantation house in 1825. He raised his family there until the outbreak of the Civil War. William Byrd Harrison did not return to live at Upper Brandon and upon his death in 1870, the farm was purchased by his nephew, George Harrison Byrd. In 1948, the last Harrison descendant, Francis Otway Byrd, sold the estate to Mr. and Mrs. Harry C. Thompson. Following the death of Mr. Thompson in 1955, his son-in-law H. Frederick Robertson took over the management of the farm. Even after the property was sold to Fred E. Watkins of Curles Neck Farms in 1961, the Robertsons remained in residence and continued to run the farming operations until June 1969, when Mr. Robertson accepted a job with the First & Merchants Bank and Trust and the family moved to Petersburg, Virginia. The house remained unoccupied until 1984 when the property was purchased by the James River Corporation.

Further information on the history of Upper Brandon can be found in Robert P. Hilldrup’s book Upper Brandon (Richmond, Va., 1987). This publication was commissioned by the James River Corporation based on research conducted at several institutions, including the Virginia Historical Society. Initial drafts, sales records, and information about this book can be found in Section Eight of this collection.

Researchers are asked to read the inventory in its entirety and to request materials by folder number. Some items (listed after section eleven) are stored in oversize storage.

The records are divided into eleven sections as follows:

  • Section One: Acquisition, Financing, and Land Agreements 1984-95
  • Section Two: James River Corporation’s Upper Brandon Restoration Task
  • Group and Upper Brandon Manor House Restoration 1984-95
  • Section Three: Proposed Conference Center 1985-87
  • Section Four: Lodge and Lodge Annex 1985-90
  • Section Five: Garden Design and Site Archaeology 1985-1994
  • Section Six: Farming, Hunting, Water and Wildlife 1984-1995
  • Section Seven: Functions, Events and Usage
  • Section Eight: History Research
  • Section Nine: Publicity
  • Section Ten: Miscellaneous Correspondence
  • Section Eleven: James River Corporate Information and Publicity

The Upper Brandon Plantation Records were a gift of the James River Corporation of Richmond, Va., through the courtesy of Linda McAllister, in 1998. Wherever possible, every effort has been made to keep the files together as they were in the plantation office.

Section Descriptions

Section One: Acquisition, Financing and Land Agreements of Upper Brandon, 1984-1995 (ca. 600 items).

In 1984, the James River Corporation acquired the Upper Brandon Plantation. After the initial purchase, the James River Corporation continued to buy and lease land surrounding Upper Brandon.

This section includes company memoranda, correspondence, purchase and lease agreements, budget estimates, loan information, tax notices, insurance policy information, spread sheets, small maps and aerial photographs.

Folder 1 Acquisition, Financing, Land Agreements and Tax Notices, 1984-1992
Folder 2 Insurance Policy and Land Patent Information, 1988-1994
Folder 3 Insurance Policy and Tax Assessments, 1985-1994
Folder 4 Land Purchases and Lease Agreements, 1986-1993
Folder 4a Aerial Photography Correspondence and Photographs, 1986-92
Folder 5 Land Purchases and Lease Agreements, 1994-1995

Section Two: James River Corporation’s Upper Brandon Restoration Task Group and Upper Brandon Manor House Restoration 1984-1995 (ca. 1,800 items)

Soon after the James River Corporation acquired Upper Brandon, the company established a Restoration Task Group composed mainly of members from its own staff. This group held regular meetings and prepared research documents and reports while supervising the restoration of the original 1825 manor house at Upper Brandon. Gordon Galusha, architect, conducted the restoration of the house and Helen Scott Townsend Reed was responsible for the interior decoration of the house.

This section includes company memoranda, correspondence, receipts, brochures, product information, blueprints, a complete illustrated room-by-room inventory of the interior of the manor house and its dependencies, color photographs, negatives, a videocassette of the 1985-86 restoration of the house, and a videocassette tour of the house. Some of the photographs show the various stages of the house’s restoration and the house after the restoration had been completed. Many of the documents from the Restoration Task Group are duplicates of documents found in other sections of this collection.

Blueprints related to the restoration of the manor house can be found in the oversize folders. Descriptions are listed at the end of section eleven.

Folder 6 Architectural Inspection, Initial Cost Estimates, Research, 1984
Folder 7 Brochures, Correspondence, Research, 1984-85
Folder 8 Correspondence, Research, Soil Evaluation 1985 January-1985 June
Folder 9 Correspondence and Research, 1985 June-1985 December
Folder 10 Correspondence, Receipts, Research, 1985 February-1986 January
Folder 11 Specifications Report, 1986 February
Folder 12 Photocopied Plans, Correspondence, Research, 1986 January-1987 August
Folder 13 Correspondence, Notes, Estimates, 1986 March-1988 December
Folder 13a Videotape of Manor House Restoration, 1985-86
Folder 14 Correspondence, Drawings, Notes from H.S.T. Reed for Interior, 1984 November-1986 September
Folder 15 Correspondence, Notes, Receipts from H.S.T. Reed for Interior, 1986 October-1987 August
Folder 16 Correspondence, Notes, Receipts from H.S.T. Reed for Interior, 1987 July-1987 November
Folder 17 Correspondence, Notes, Receipts from H.S.T. Reed for Interior, 1987 November-1987 December
Folder 18 Correspondence and Receipts from H.S.T. Reed for Interior, 1988 January-1988 May
Folder 19 Correspondence and Receipts from H.S.T. Reed for Interior, 1988 May-1988 August
Folder 20 Correspondence, Receipts, Brochures for Interior, 1988 September-1989 April
Folder 21 Correspondence, Receipts, Brochures for Interior 1989 May-1995 July
Folder 22 Assorted Correspondence, Receipts, Brochures for Interior, 1986 September-1991 October
Folder 23 Manor House and Dependencies Inventory, undated
Folder 24 Manor House and Dependencies Inventory, undated
Folder 25 Manor House and Dependencies Inventory, undated
Folder 26 Manor House and Dependencies Inventory, undated
Folder 27 Manor House and Dependencies Inventory, undated
Folder 27a Restoration Photographs, 1987, and Proposed Furnishings
Folder 27b Exterior Restoration Photographs, ca.1985-86
Folder 27c Exterior and Interior Photographs and Negatives, Restoration completed, 1988 August
Folder 27d Exterior and Interior Photographs including dependencies, Restoration completed, 1988
Folder 27e Correspondence, Exterior and Interior Photographs by Tad Goodale, 1988-89
Folder 27f Exterior and Interior Photographs by Tad Goodale, 1989
Folder 27g Exterior and Interior Photographs and Negatives by Tad Goodale, 1989
Folder 27h Exterior Photographs, 1988-1989 Winter and Miscellaneous Photographs
Folder 27i Videocassette of Upper Brandon Tour, undated

Section Three: Proposed Conference Center, 1985-1987 (ca.800 items)

In 1985, the James River Corporation planned to build a conference center on land near the manor house at Upper Brandon Plantation. The company acquired several brochures from different conference centers and conference center management groups. They also commissioned the architect, Gordon Galusha, and the Hillier Group, architectural consultants from Princeton, New Jersey. Although the proposed conference center was not constructed as planned, documentation for the proposals remains.

This section includes brochures, correspondences, memoranda, notes, drawings, blueprints, and a project summary book produced by The Hillier Group which includes items such as fabric and wallpaper samples. All blueprints for the proposed conference center can be found in the oversize folders.

Folder 28 Conference Center Research and Brochures, 1985 August-1985 October
Folder 29 Meeting Notes and Correspondence, 1985 February-1985 September
Folder 30 Memos, Meeting Notes and Brochures, 1985 September-1986 May
Folder 31 Correspondence, Notes and Hillier Group Brochures, 1986 May-1986 July
Folder 32 Correspondence and Drawings from the Hillier Group and G. Galusha, 1986 July-1986 September
Folder 33 The Hillier Group’s Project Summary Book, 1986 September
Folder 34 The Hillier Group’s Project Summary Book, 1986 September
Folder 35 The Hillier Group’s Project Summary Book, 1986 September
Folder 36 The Hillier Group’s Project Summary Book, 1986 September
Folder 37 The Hillier Group’s Project Summary Book, 1986 September
Folder 38 The Hillier Group’s Project Summary Book, 1986 September
Folder 39 Correspondence and Memos, 1986 October-1987 January

Section Four: Lodge and Lodge Annex, 1985-1990 (ca.800 items)

James River Corporation commissioned Doug Bowman Designs, Inc. in January 1986 to build a lodge for housing guests and holding meetings. Milton Glaser Associates, Inc. worked on the interior design and furnishing of the lodge, which is sometimes referred to as the north lodge. The landscape architects, Rieley and Associates, made planting plans for the lodge. In 1988-89, a lodge annex was constructed, which is referred to in correspondence as both the lodge annex or the west lodge.

This section includes correspondence, notes, memoranda, brochures, specifications, receipts (many of which are photocopies of originals), drawings, a videocassette, negatives, and color photographs.

Folder 40 Correspondence, Brochures, Receipts, Drawings, 1985 May-1986 July
Folder 41 Correspondence, Brochures, Receipts, 1986 August
Folder 42 Notes and Receipts, 1986 August-1986 November
Folder 43 Receipts, 1986 November-1986 December
Folder 44 Brochures, Notes, Receipts, 1986 December
Folder 45 Correspondence, Memos, Receipts, Drawings, 1987 January-1987 April
Folder 46 Correspondence, Brochures, Receipts, 1987 May-1988 January
Folder 47 Correspondence, Memos, Specifications, 1988 January-1988 August
Folder 48 Notes, Receipts, Drawings, 1988 September-1988 October
Folder 49 Correspondence, Brochures, Memos, 1988 October-1988 November
Folder 50 Brochures, Notes, Receipts, 1988 November-1988 December
Folder 51 Correspondence, Brochures, Notes, Receipts, 1989 January-1990 March
Folder 51a Lodge Photographs, 1988-1989
Folder 51b Photographs of Construction of Lodge Annex, 1988-1989
Folder 51c Videocassette of Annex, dated 9/15/88
Folder 51d General Construction Correspondence, Budgets, 1985-1989                                                                           

Section Five: Garden Design and Site Archaeology 1985 -1994 (ca.1, 200 items)

In January of 1987, the James River Corporation commissioned the landscape architecture firm Rieley and Associates of Charlottesville, Virginia, to create a landscape design appropriate to the historic character of Upper Brandon. An archaeological investigation of the Upper Brandon site was also conducted by William Kelso. As a result of their research and work at Upper Brandon, Rieley and Kelso produced a final illustrated report in 1992 on the gardens and grounds which can be found in this section. Copies of a measured plan made in 1931 is also included in this section. Information regarding the horticultural maintenance of Upper Brandon, the construction of a new summerhouse (or gazebo), and the conversion of slave quarters into a slave quarters museum can also be found in this section. The construction of the summerhouse is documented through color photographs.

This section includes correspondence, notes, memoranda, reports, brochures, receipts, drawings, blueprints, photographs and slides.

Folder 52 Horticultural Maintenance Correspondence and Reports, 1985 April-1993 February
Folder 53 Landscape Design Correspondence, Notes, Drawings, 1985 October-1988 January
Folder 54 Landscape Design Correspondence, Notes, Agreements, 1988 February-1988 September
Folder 55 Landscape Design Correspondence, Brochures, Receipts, 1988 October-1989 June
Folder 56 Landscape Design Correspondence, Memos, Receipts, 1989 June-1989 October
Folder 57 Landscape Design Correspondence, Brochures, Receipts, 1989 November-1990 March
Folder 57a Road and Entrance Gate Construction Photographs, 1989-90
Folder 58 Landscape Design Correspondence, Notes, Research, 1990 April-1994 January
Folder 58a Photographs of Flowers, 1989-91
Folder 58b Photographs of Gardens and Grounds, 1990-91
Folder 59 Archaeology Correspondence, Notes, Research, 1985 January-1991 July
Folder 60 Archaeology Report, 1990 October
Folder 60a Archaeology Photographs, 1991
Folder 61 Gardens and Grounds Report, 1992 February
Folder 62 Gardens and Grounds Report and slides, 1992 February
Folder 63 Summerhouse Research, 1988-1990
Folder 63a Photographs of Summerhouse Construction, 1989 August-1990 April
Folder 64 Slave Quarters Correspondence, Photographs, Notes, Research, 1986 April-1993 April                                           

Section Six: Farming, Hunting, Water and Wildlife, 1984-1995 (ca.1, 200 items)

At Upper Brandon, the James River Corporation ran a farming operation under the direction of a manager hired by the company. Soon after the company purchased Upper Brandon, extra buildings to house farming equipment were erected. The farm, which is one of the oldest in the nation under continuous cultivation, currently grows crops such as wheat and soybeans. Photographs of the removal of existing farm buildings can be found in this section (folder 75a).

Under the supervision of the plantation manager, a game program was also established that allowed the hunting of doves, geese, and ducks. Upper Brandon Plantation received awards for their farm operations and their efforts to preserve the wildlife habitats in the marsh areas of the James River. In 1994, the James River Corporation donated conservation easements to the American Farmlands Trust and the Nature Conservancy, an event that is recorded through photographs, slides and videos in Section Seven: Functions, Events and Usage. Articles about this event can be found in Section Nine: Publicity.

This section includes correspondence, memoranda, notes, research, receipts, reports, brochures, magazine articles, newspaper articles, photographs, slides, and videotapes.

Folder 65 Hunting Correspondence and Memos, 1984 August-1986 August
Folder 65a Dove Hunt Photographs and Negatives, 1985 September 7
Folder 65b Miscellaneous Hunting Photographs, 1984-85, 1989
Folder 66 Hunting Correspondence and Memos, 1986 September-1988 November
Folder 67 Hunting Correspondence and Memos, 1988 November-1991 January
Folder 68 Hunting Correspondence and Memos, 1991 February-1992 July
Folder 69 Hunting Correspondence and Memos, 1992 July-1995 September
Folder 69a Game Dinner Photographs, 1986-1991
Folder 70 Wood duck Reports, 1988-1994
Folder 70a Geese Slides and Photographs, 1986 February and 1987 January
Folder 70b Geese Videocassette, 1987 January
Folder 70c Wildlife Photographs, ca. 1990
Folder 70d Wildlife Photographs, ca.1990
Folder 70e Wildlife Photographs, ca.1989-90
Folder 70f Bald Eagle Release contact sheet and Ed Hatch slides
Folder 71 Water Correspondence and Notes, 1985 August-1993 April
Folder 71a Photographs and Negatives of Kennon’s Creek Property, 1987 March 25
Folder 71b Aerial Slides, Photographs and Negatives of river and land, 1990 April
Folder 71c High Water, 1991 Fall and Miscellaneous Water Photographs
Folder 72 Farm Memos, Budgets and Notes, 1985 April-1985 September
Folder 73 Farm Finances, 1985 April-1985 May
Folder 74 Farm Finances, 1985 June-1989 September
Folder 75 Farm and Land Correspondence and Notes, 1985 May-1995
Folder 75a Farm Slides, Photographs and Article, 1987-94
Folder 75b Farm and Land Articles, 1990-94                                                                                                                                                   

Section Seven: Functions, Events and Usage 1986-1996 (ca.1, 200 items)

The facilities at Upper Brandon were rented out for various events to divisions of the James River Corporation and to certain outside users. Upper Brandon hosted James River Corporation celebrations and other special events such as Garden Week and Nature Conservancy visits. Several of these events are documented in photographs found in this section.

This section includes correspondence, memoranda, internal billing receipts, notes, slides and photographs.

Folder 76 Usage Correspondence, Memos and Notes, 1986 March-1990 February
Folder 77 Usage Correspondence, Memos and Notes, 1990 November-1993 February
Folder 78 Usage Correspondence, Memos and Notes, 1993 February-1994 June
Folder 79 Usage Correspondence, Memos and Notes, 1994 July-1995 September
Folder 80 Manual for Functions and Events Set-up, undated
Folder 81 Manual for Functions and Events Set-up, undated
Folder 82 Correspondence and Notes from Users, Miscellaneous Notes, 1988 July-1994 April
Folder 83 Garden Week Brochures and Memos, 1989 April-1990
Folder 84 Garden Week Brochures and Correspondence, 1991 September-1996
Folder 85 Garden Week Brochures and Correspondence, 1993-1996 January
Folder 86 Invitations and Reply Cards for Conservation Easement Celebration, 1994 March
Folder 87 Photographs and Slides from Conservation Easement Celebration, 1994 March
Folder 88 Photographs of Manager’s Meeting, 1985 May and James River Employee Preview, 1987 Fall
Folder 88a Memos and Notes for Manager’s Meeting and James River Employee Preview, 1985 May-1987 September
Folder 88b Memos and Notes for James River Employee Preview and Restoration Party, 1987 September-1988 March
Folder 88c Correspondence, Memos and Notes for Restoration Party, 1988 April-1988 June
Folder 89 Restoration Party Invitation and Photographs, 1988 May
Barn Dance Photographs, 1988 October
Conservation Carnival Photographs, 1989 May
Society of Virginia Creepers Party, 1989 May
Folder 90 Garden Week Photographs, 1989 and 1992
Folder 91 Strawberry Hill Race Weekend Carriage Ride Luncheon Photographs, 1989
Virginia Council on the Environment Visit Photographs, 1989 June
Governor’s School for Gifted Children Photographs, 1989 June
Virginia Association of Museums Photographs, 1989 June
Nature Conservancy Photographs, 1989 July
Folder 92 Dan Reeves Shooting Show Photographs, 1989 October                                                                                                                        
Petersen Jet Hunt Photographs, 1989 October
B.K. Allen’s Farewell Party Photographs, 1990 February
Nature Conservancy Photographs, 1990 August
French Students Visit Photographs, 1990 November
Folder 93 Historic Garden Week, 1991 April
1991 October
Armstrong Picnic, 1992

Section Eight: History Research (ca.1, 200 items)

After the James River Corporation purchased the Upper Brandon Plantation, research about the property and its various owners was conducted. A book about the history of Upper Brandon was commissioned by the company and was written by Robert P. Hilldrup in 1987. Drafts and correspondence about this book and its sales can be found in this section. Photographs, brochures and research notes about historic houses in Virginia and other states was collected for research purposes. Information about the portrait reproductions made for Upper Brandon are also in this section.

This section includes correspondence, notes, memoranda, negatives, photographs, 16mm home movies (by Mary Rathbone Byrd of Upper Brandon 1926-ca.1942) and videocassettes. Many of the photographs are reprints of historic photographs from sources at the Virginia Historical Society, the Library of Congress, the Valentine Museum, the Virginia State Library and Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Folder 94 Research Notes, 1985-86
Folder 95 Research Notes, 1985
Folder 96 Research Notes, 1986-87
Folder 97 Research Notes, undated
Folder 98 Research Notes, undated-1995
Folder 99 Historic Landmarks Information, 1985-95
Folder 100 General Tour Notes, 1988
Folder 101 Portraits Research, 1985-89
Folder 102 Portraits Research, 1989
Folder 103 Upper Brandon History Book Draft, 1987
Folder 104 Book Sales Correspondence and Notes, 1987
Folder 105 Book Sales Correspondence and Receipts, 1987-88
Folder 106 Book Sales Correspondence and Receipts, 1987-95
Folder 107 Correspondence, Floor Plans, Negatives and Photographs, ca.1986
Folder 108 Negatives and Photographs copied from Alice Davenport, undated (pre-James River ownership)
Folder 109 Research Notes and Photographs from Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and Library of Congress (reprints from historic photographs)
Folder 110 Photographs and Negatives from the Virginia Historical Society (reprints from historic photographs)
Folder 111 Photographs and Negatives from the Virginia State Library and the Valentine Museum (reprints from historic photographs)
Folder 112 Unlabelled Photographs and Negatives (reprints from historic photographs)
Folder 113 Photographs of Assorted Historic Houses in Virginia ca.1990-91
Folder 114 Photographs of Virginia State Library exhibition, Governor’s House, Poplar Forest, Williamsburg, Columbus, Ohio, and Byrd graves, no dates
Folder 115 Brochures and Photographs, Upper and Lower Bremo and Hope Plantation, Bertie County, North Carolina, undated
Folder 116 Photographs of Wilton, Agecroft, Skilligalee, River Road, Carter’s Grove, Trees, 1990 moving Spanish Galleon to Richmond, Helen Schuyler painting Daniel Parke copy, 1989
Folder 117 Historic Photographs of F. O. Byrd, Shirley and Nellie Gray, 1857 rent receipt signed by William B. Harrison and 1854 receipt for purchase of Modern Architect
Folder 117a 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1926
Folder 117b 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1927
Folder 117c 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1928
Folder 117d 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1929
Folder 117e 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1930-31
Folder 117f 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1931-32
Folder 117g 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1934-37
Folder 117h 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1934-46
Folder 117i 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1939-41
Folder 117j 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, 1942
Folder 117k 16mm film by Mary Rathbone Byrd, undated
Folder 117l Videocassette made from above originals
Folder 117m Videocassette made from above originals

Section Nine: Publicity (ca.1, 000 items)

Newspaper and television coverage of Upper Brandon’s opening and related events can be found in this section. Slides for public presentations were created by the James River Corporation about the company’s acquisition and operation of Upper Brandon. These slides show many images of the land, the farm, exterior and interior images of the manor house along with various charts. Information about awards Upper Brandon received is also included in this section.

This section includes correspondence, notes, photocopies of newspaper articles, videocassettes and slides.

Folder 118 Awards Correspondence and Notes, 1988-94
Folder 119 Articles, Brochures, Memos 1984-90
Folder 120 Brochures, Memos, Notes, Drawings, 1989-92
Folder 121 Articles, Correspondence, Notes, 1993-94
Folder 122 Filming and Art Correspondence and Notes, 1991-95
Folder 123 Photocopied Articles, 1984-95
Folder 124 Presentation Slides, ca.1988
Folder 125 Presentation Slides, ca.1988
Folder 126 Presentation Slides, ca.1988
Folder 127 Presentation Slides, ca.1988
Folder 128 Presentation Slides, ca.1988-90
Folder 129 Presentation Slides and unlabelled house, ca.1988-90
Folder 130 Field Footage Videocassette, undated
Folder 131 Aerial Footage Videocassette, dated 5/1/90
Folder 132 News Videocassette, dated 3/16/94 and 3/17/94
Folder 133 Bald Eagle News Videocassette, dated 3/30/94
Folder 134 Easement Videocassette, 1994
Folder 135 General Videocassette, 1994 March
Folder 136 Press Conference Videocassette, 1994 March 16
Folder 137 Press Conference Videocassette, 1994 March
Folder 138 World News, CNN Videocassette, 1994 March 27                                          
Folder 139 Donations Correspondence and Memos, 1984-92                                                                                         

Section Ten: Miscellaneous Correspondence 1990-1998 (ca. 100 items)

This section includes miscellaneous correspondence such as cards, invitations and general company letters.

Folder 140 Assorted Correspondence, 1988-91
Folder 141 Assorted Correspondence, 1991-98                                                                                                                     

Section Eleven: James River Corporate Information and Publicity (ca. 500 items)

Materials related to James River Corporation’s operations and products are contained in this section. James River published its own newsletters, called Onstream and Richmond Review, which are both included in this section. Photographs include images of company products, historic views of the company office, and photographs of a painting of the Richmond office which hangs in a Kalamazoo, Michigan, company office.

This section includes some annual reports, product information, company newsletters, corporate vision booklets, brochures, negatives and photographs.

Folder 142 Annual Reports and Brochures, 1986-93
Folder 143 Company Brochure, 1990
Folder 144 Interim Report, Product Photographs, Telephone Directory, 1991-94
Folder 145 Onstream Newsletter, 1984-91
Folder 146 Onstream Newsletter, 1991-95
Folder 147 Richmond Review and JR This Week, 1990-94
Folder 148 Photographs, Negatives and Notes on JR History, ca.1989                                                                                                  

Oversized Items

The folder listed below contain oversized items such as blueprints and drawings relating to the gardens and buildings of Upper Brandon and the proposed conference center.

Folder 149 Lodge Circular Road Plan by Austin Brockenbrough and Associates, Consulting Engineers, 4 March 1987
Sewage Site Plan (3 sheets) by P.M. Brooks Associates, 6 July 1988
Undated Topographical Plan
Land Survey by Harvey L. Parks, 8 February 1994
Measured Plan of Gardens, June 1931 (3 copies)
Undated Elevation of Manor House with Trees
Undated Graphite Sketch Plan for Planting of Lodge
Undated Photocopy of Plan for Trees (1 copy annotated, 1 unmarked)
Folder 150 Rieley and Associates:
Schematic Planting Plan for Lodge, 29 May 1987 (2 annotated copies)
Entrance Planting Scheme, January 1988
Schematic Planting Plan, February 1988 (2 copies)
Road Plan and Profile, 18 October 1988 (5 pages)
Illustrative Details for Gazebo, November 1988
Sign Layout for Manor House Piers, 1 November 1989
Folder 151 Plan for Proposed Waterfront Deck, 13 October 1986 (2 copies)
Proposed Preliminary Garden Plan for Formal Garden, 16 October 1990 (10 photocopied pages)
Plan of Archaeological Tests 1985-90
Elevation, Section and Plan of Shop and Equipment Bays, 11 September 1987
Preliminary Elevations, Plans and Sections for Office Addition by Doug Bowman Designs, Inc., 30 May 1990 ( 9 photocopied pages)
Folder 152 First and Second Floor Plans for Lodge Interior by Milton Glaser Associates, 8 August 1986
Elevations and Plans for Lodge Kitchen, Gun Room and Great Room by Milton Glaser Associates, 11 August 1986
Undated Elevations for Gun Room by Milton Glaser Associates (2 copies)
Three Versions (Labelled Scheme A, B, C) of Photocopied Plans by Doug Bowman Designs for Lodge Annex, 29 February 1988 (17 pages)
Kitchen Details for Lodge Annex by Milton Glaser Associates, 14 September, 1988 (2 copies)
Undated South Elevation of Lodge (2 pages)
Undated Plans of Lodge Annex (3 pages)
Folder 153 Lodge Annex Progress Print by Doug Bowman Designs, Inc. 8 July, 1988
Interior Elevations for Lodge Annex by Doug Bowman Designs, Inc. 15 November 1988
Plan and Elevation of Proposed Training Center by Gordon B. Galusha, 6 September 1985
Undated Topographical Plan
Annotated Plan and Elevation of Proposed Training Center by Gordon B. Galusha, 24 September 1985 (4 sheets)
Annotated Plan for Proposed Training Center by Gordon B. Galusha, 4 November 1985 (3 sheets)
Kitchen Plan for Proposed Training Center by Gordon B. Galusha, 20 April 1986 (2 sheets)
Folder 154 Floor Plan for Proposed Training Center by Gordon B. Galusha, 8 July 1986
Undated Partial First Floor Plan for Proposed Training Center by Gordon B. Galusha (2 sheets)
Corridor Plan for Proposed Training Center by Gordon B. Galusha, 10 September 1986 (2 sheets)
Furniture Plan for First Floor of Proposed Training Center by The Hillier Group, 22 August 1986
Furniture Plan for First Floor of Proposed Training Center by The Hillier Group, 8 September 1986 (3 sheets)
Guest Room Plan for Proposed Training Center by The Hillier Group, 12 September 1986
Folder 155 Lighting Protection Drawing for Manor House, 19 May 1986
5th Floor West Office Plans for James River Corporation, Richmond Plaza, 31 May 1985 (2 sheets)

Index to Sections

  • American Farmlands Trust, 6
  • Archaeology, 5
  • Architecture — Designs and plans, 2, 3, 4
  • Awards, 9
  • Byrd, Mary Rathbone, 8
  • Convention facilities, 3, 7
  • Deeds, 1
  • Doug Bowman Designs, Inc., 4
  • Farm management, 6
  • Galusha, Gordon, 2, 3
  • Governor’s School for Gifted Children, 7
  • Harrison family, 8
  • Hildrup, Robert P., 8
  • Hillier Group, 3
  • Historic Garden Week, 7
  • Historic gardens, 5
  • Historic preservation, 2
  • Hunting, 6
  • Insurance policies, 1
  • Interior decoration, 2, 4
  • Inventories, 2
  • James River Corporation, 11
  • Kelso, William, 5
  • Land records, 1
  • Land titles, 1
  • Landscape gardening, 4, 5
  • Leases, 1
  • Milton Glaser Associates, Inc., 4
  • Nature Conservancy, 6, 7
  • Onstream, 11
  • Photographs, Aerial, 1
  • Plantation life, 5
  • Plantation management, 6
  • Prince George County (Va.) — History, 8
  • Publicity, 9
  • Reed, Helen Scott Townsend, 2
  • Restoration Task Group, 2
  • Richmond Reviews, 11
  • Rieley and Associates, 4, 5
  • Society of Virginia Creepers, 7
  • Upper Brandon (Va.) — History, 8
  • Upper Brandon (Va.) — Photographs, 2
  • Virginia Association of Museums, 7
  • Virginia Council on the Environment, 7
  • Waterfowl, 6
  • Wildlife habitat conservation, 6

Container List

Box 1

Section 1: Acquisition, Financing, and Land Agreements, 1984-95 (Folders 1-5)
Section 2: James River Corporation’s Upper Brandon Restoration Task Group and Upper Brandon Manor House Restoration, 1984-95 (Folders 6-17)

Box 2

Section 2: James River Corporation’s Upper Brandon Restoration Task Group and Upper Brandon Manor House Restoration, 1984-95 (Folders 18-27i)

Box 3

Section 3: Proposed Conference Center 1985-87 (Folders 28-39)
Section 4: Lodge and Lodge Annex, 1985-90 (Folders 40-50)

Box 4

Section 4: Lodge and Lodge Annex, 1985-90 (Folders 51-51d)
Section 5: Garden Design and Site Archaeology, 1985-94 (Folders 52-64)
Section 6: Farming, Hunting, Water and Wildlife, 1984-95 (Folders 65-67)

Box 5

Section 6: Farming, Hunting, Water and Wildlife, 1984-95 (Folders 68-75a)
Section 7: Functions, Events and Usage (Folders 76-82)

Box 6

Section 7: Functions, Events and Usage (Folders 83-93)
Section 8: History Research (Folders 94-102)

Box 7

Section 8: History Research (Folders 103-117m)

Box 8

Section 9: Publicity (Folders 118-139)

Box 9

Section 10: Miscellaneous Correspondence (Folders 140-141)
Section 11: James River Corporate Information and Publicity (Folders 142-148)

Oversized Items

Folders 149-155


Last updated: July 11, 2001