Planned Giving: Charitable Lead Trusts
Charitable Lead Trusts are wonderful ways to give to the VHS in return for large income or estate tax benefits. Lead trusts can drastically lower the tax on transfer of one's assets to loved ones.
To create a lead trust:
1. An individual puts income-producing property in a trust, which pays a certain level of income to charities for a defined time period.
2. At the end of the time period, the contents of the trust pass to the individual's family or other beneficiaries. Capital gain earned by the trusts escapes taxation.
Lead trusts are designed to provide tax benefits rather than income for individuals.
• Unlike charitable remainder trusts, lead trusts cannot sell assets free of capital gain tax.
• One should consider a lead trust only if one is not likely to need the income from the trust assets.
Want to See an Illustration?
Our gift calculator can help you illustrate a charitable remainder trust based upon information specified by you.
Go to gift calculator
Other Planned Giving options available:
• Retirement Plan Gifts
• Charitable Gift Annuities
• Charitable Remainder Trusts
• Insurance Policies
This gift option entitles you to membership in the Virginia Historical Society's Virginia Heritage Registry.