July 15, 2006 – September 15, 2006
Advertising card with portrait photograph of “G. A. Newman, Jr. / Musician, Artist & Penman, / Asst. Prin. City Schools No. 3, / Home Office 1200 Jackson St., / Staunton, VA.,” c. 1897, together with calligraphy bird stamped and inscribed by Newman, 1926. Purchase. Paul Mellon Fund.
Five sketch books by William Jackson of Gloucester Courthouse, 1960s, containing sixty pencil and ink drawings of water views, boatyards, seafood businesses, watermen, homes and cottages, of Mathews, Middlesex, Gloucester, York, and King and Queen counties. Purchase. Frank G. Byram Fund.
Etched glass sign reading “Central National Bank” (Richmond); brass Art Deco plaque, with logo of Central National Bank, from its building at Third and Broad Streets, Richmond, c. 1929. Gift of William G. Poston, Richmond.
Dulcimer made and played by Tom Cobbs (ca. 1870–1970), an African American of Milton, Pittsylvania County; dulcimer thought to be from Meadows of Dan, Patrick County, late 1800s; child’s banjo from Hillsville, Carroll County, 1930s or 1940s. Purchase. Paul Mellon Fund.
Native American hammer stone (sandstone worked into a ball shape, used to hammer) believed to be from Canterbury Plantation, King and Queen County, Virginia, of indeterminate date. Gift of Elizabeth Randolph, Richmond, in honor of Dr. and Mrs. L. G. Mathews.
“The Battle of Five Forks,” oil on canvas, signed lower right by Paul D. Philippoteaux (1846–1923), c. 1885. Given in memory of Peter Charles Bance, Jr., by his mother and father in loving memory.