Virginia House was completed in
1928, and in 1929 it was presented to the Virginia Historical Society with the Weddells retaining
lifetime tenancy. Virginia House became the sole responsibility of the Virginia Historical Society
in 1948 after Ambassador and Mrs. Weddell, and Mrs. Weddell's personal maid Violet Andrews,
were killed in a train crash on New Year's Day.
Today Virginia House is owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society. The museum and gardens are open by appointment only. The site is also available for meetings and special events. Virginia House is offering special programming in 2011. See a list of events.
Back: Construction and design | Home | Next: